Almost every day I am asked the best ways to improve Search Engine Optimization (SEO). If you don’t know, SEO should be built into your website to make it more accessible to search engines so users can find your site easier.
There are literally hundreds of ways of optimize your website beyond the usual methods used by web developers when they build a site.
Here are my top five tips for making your website easy to find for potential customers.
- A picture might be worth a thousand words, but search engines don’t read pictures. Make sure your key search terms are written in text, not part of a graphic title you hire somebody to prepare for you.
- If possible, have several pages of text related to your website’s topic. Use a different keyword search term for each page. For instance, one article might frequently use the term “marketing for small business”, while another might use the term “marketing strategies”.
- What’s the URL of your website? Your company name will help if someone is searching for you by name. If available, get additional URLs that line up with your key words.
- What’s the title of your page? I don’t know how many times I see titles such as “Article” or “Contact us”. Don’t expect the search engine robots to get all excited about that term. And don’t expect anybody to search for that term either. It’s much better to title your page using some of your key words. As an example, “Contact the *Marketing Experts* today”.
- Make sure you have included all the relevant key words and make sure they are up to date with industry lingo.
In fact, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of things you can do to win the search engine race. These top five search engine optimization tips are a great start, whatever your website is about.