This is the time of year when it seems like every organization is having a golf tournament for one cause or another. Of course, every golf tournament is looking for sponsors. Have you ever been a sponsor?
If your potential customers are golfing in the tournament, you should be a sponsor. As always, if you are going to do it, you should do it right. The rule of thumb: treat it like a trade show, and the golfers are the trade show attendees.
Here are some things to keep in mind before you head for the golf course:
- Make sure you and your signage are weather proof.
- Have a game or a contest to help people remember you.
- Hand out samples of your product – if you can.
- Give away promotional items.
- Keep it fun; it really isn’t a business setting.
Here are some things to NOT do:
- Don’t hide in your display, come out and greet people.
- Stay off your phone.
- Don’t give away alcohol (unless you work for a brewery or winery)
- Keep it light; don’t go into a sales pitch. You can always follow up with interested people after the tournament.
If you are going to do this, make sure the golfers are your potential customers. Otherwise you are wasting your time and resources.